Cheesy Gnocchi Casserole. Need I say more? It’s got gnocchi, broccoli, chicken sausage, cheese and more all packed into a yummy casserole. Guys, we are almost to Thanksgiving. Let’s start practicing our casserole eating skills!
Look at all of that cheese. I’ve been eating so much cheese. I can’t wait to eat even more cheese when I study abroad in Rome next semester! Drop me a line if you want to talk about Rome.
Before you go all in and get all of the ingredients make sure your local Trader Joe’s has frozen gnocchi. When I called they only had two cauliflower gnocchi left. That stuff is popular. Thankfully, the person I spoke to on the phone put the last two to the side for me. Lucky me!
This recipe is basically Cait’s Plate Weeknight Baked Gnocchi with some tweaks. Instead of cooking it like Cait I used the same cooking method I got from paleoglutenfree.com in my blog post Gnocchi Casserole.
Next time I don’t think I’m going to use chicken sausage. Some people love sausage. I’m not crazy about it! Next time I want to try a different protein. Maybe tofu or tempeh. Thoughts?
Ingredients: (adapted from caitsplate.com)
- 3-4 links of Italian-style chicken sausage, sliced
- 18 oz frozen gnocchi (I used 1 1/2 packages of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (I used 2 heaping cups of broccoli instead)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2-1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a casserole dish with oil spray (I used a 9 x 13”). Layer in the sausage on the bottom, then add the broccoli and gnocchi.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the onion, basil, egg, garlic, tomato sauce, balsamic, tomato paste, chicken broth, seasoning, salt and pepper. Then pour sauce over the casserole.
- Bake on 350F for 25 minutes. Then add in the mozzarella and parmesan. Bake for 10-15 more minutes. Top with more fresh basil.