Have you ever made a strata? Yeah me neither. Hey, there’s a first for everything. Now, go grab your stale bread because you’re PUDDING it in this casserole.
I HIGHLY recommend making this breakfast strata. Whether it’s for meal prep, a brunch you’re hosting or just cause. Just make it. You won’t regret it.
Do you like cream cheese? Then you’ll love this. You can taste the creaminess with each bite. It’s amazing.
You’ll also get some other things with each bite that I GUESS are important… like veggies. Haha, just kidding I actually love veggies.
Another thing that I love about this strata is that I can satisfy my body’s needs –taste/flavor, texture, and nutrition– without even trying very hard. All you do is cut and measure some things and toss it in the oven. Meal prep is life changing and saving. Why did I wait until college for meal prep?
So, here’s another great recipe from hummusapien.com. Can you tell her to keep them coming? Not only is hummusapien a great recipe developer but, she is also a registered dietitian and restaurant owner. She’s got it going on.
Ingredients: (from hummusapien.com)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 crowns broccoli, cut into florets
- 8oz basket of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (I used red bell pepper instead)
- 6 heaping cups cubed bread (stale is best)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar or feta cheese, divided
Directions: (from: hummusapien.com)
- Spray a 9×13″ casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in 1-2 large pans over medium heat. Saute the onion with a pinch of salt for 5-7 minutes, or until softened. In another pan saute the broccoli, mushrooms and peppers for about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt, cream cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, the bread and veggies.
- Add the mixture to the casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake for 5 more minutes or until set.
- Let it cool and then enjoy!