Today I met up with my dear friend, Hannah, for lunch. She had been on a gap year traveling around the world since September. It was so good to finally see her again after what felt like forever! I suggested we try out a new cafe in Minneapolis. We agreed on going to Northern Coffeeworks. It’s not too far from the light rail and it’s easy to get there. I believe they also have free 2 hour parking behind the cafe.
I have a list of cafes and restaurants on my phone. Over the past year I have collected restaurant ideas from other people. If someone posts a picture of their meal at a restaurant and it looks good I google the menu. If the menu is good I save the restaurant on my list. In addition to the menu items, I also consider the location. I’d say I’d drive a maximum of 17 minutes for food. Light rail, walking or biking would be ideal too. Because if I’ve got working legs I’m going to use them!
I ordered the Smoked Turkey Sandwich for $13 and Hannah ordered the Biscuit Sandwich for $10. The Smoked Turkey Sandwich had Ferndale turkey, Singing Hills Chèvre, rhubarb mostarda, and Twin Organics arugula on bread from Baker’s Field Flour & Bread. The Biscuit Sandwich had a fried egg, smoked bacon, aged cheddar, spicy maple, and charred herb mayo.
Yes, I paid $13 for my sandwich. I am glad that my money is going towards supporting local farmers.
- The turkey. The farmers at Ferndale Market raise sustainable and free-range turkeys.
- The chèvre. Singing Hills Dairy makes their cheeses from their pasture raised goats.
- The arugula. It is sustainably grown at organic vegetable farm, Twin Organics farm, in healthy soil.
- The bread. Baker’s Field Flour & Bread source their grains from local farmers and bake the fresh flour into naturally leavened bread.
5 Reasons to eat at farm-to-table restaurants:
- You know where your food is coming from.
- Crops are harvested at peak ripeness = peak nutritional value.
- Less transit time = less loss of nutritional value.
- Sustainable agriculture is better for the environment.
- It boosts the local economy.
We both decided not to order a drink. I wish I would have though. Well, we might just have to go back again soon to try something new off of their menu!
So good to see you again. Can’t wait for all our food dates this year
LikeLiked by 1 person